Obama signed the new transportation bill into law, along with the provisions of it that require the IRS to farm out some of its unworked inventory of tax arrears to private debt collection companies and that allow for the revocation or denial of passports to people with more than $50,000 in unpaid taxes.
There’s a new NWTRCC newsletter out, with content including:
- Building Partnerships During Tax Season — local war tax resistance groups plan to network with other activist organizations this Spring
- Justin Becker reflects on Student Debt and War Tax Resisting
- Counseling Notes, including an early warning on those transportation bill provisions, news that the IRS will no longer levy SSA disibility insurance benefits, notes on what happens when the IRS disputes the numbers on your W-4 form, and what happens when the IRS sends a notice to an address you no longer live at.
- Chris Coverdale Jailed for Tax Refusal in the U.K.
- A report on the New England regional gathering and brief notes about the School of the Americas Watch vigil and the Western District Conference of Mennonites.
- A report on the NWTRCC national gathering last month in Las Vegas.
- Matt Niznik reflects on the challenges for a war tax resister in a relationship in a community property state.