Some bits and pieces from here and there:
- The U.S. Congress’s Joint Committee on Taxation has released its annual Overview of the Federal Tax System that gives you some idea of how the federal government gets its hands on our money.
- Veteran activist Staughton Lynd has some words of advice for the Occupy movement in the United States.
- Greek “we won’t pay” activists are at it again: occupying and disabling highway toll booths.
- Their counterparts in Ireland are rallying to the chant “Don’t register! Don’t pay!”
- Tim Huber at Mennonite Weekly Review writes of “taxing conscience one war at a time” in the wake of the kerfluffle over government-mandated health insurance coverage.
- The IRS doesn’t seem to be anticipating any sudden boost to its enforcement budget, judging from this news about the agency offering early retirement packages to the employees in their enforcement division.